A Driver’s Guide To Transferring Auto Tags

Pennsylvania drivers have to meet certain basic requirements if they want to operate a vehicle in the state. One of the most important things you need to have in place is a valid, registered license plate. License plates are also known as auto tags. In some situations, you might want to transfer the tags you already have to a new vehicle. At PA Auto Insurance Outlet, we can make that process fast and easy for you!

When do tags get transferred?

If you buy a car from a private individual, you will need to either apply for new tags or transfer your old ones to the newly purchased car. Even if you buy a car from a dealership you might prefer to transfer your old tags instead of getting new ones. Oftentimes the reason people prefer to transfer their old tags instead of getting new ones is because they paid to get personalized or vanity plates and want to keep them. Another reason is that they might want to avoid the hassle of updating their license plate number with insurance or anywhere else it is needed.

In these situations, PA Auto Insurance Outlet can help you get that transfer completed accurately and quickly.

What should I bring with me?

Just like with any official transaction, you’ll need to have certain paperwork with you when you go to transfer your auto tags. When you arrive at PA Auto Insurance Outlet and Auto Tags, here’s a short checklist of what we’ll need you to have on hand so we can help you with the transfer:

  • First and foremost, you’ll need to provide proof of identification. In Pennsylvania, acceptable forms of ID include a valid PA driver’s license or PA Identification Card.
  • Second, you will need to show us the registration card that goes along with the tag you want to transfer to another vehicle.
  • Finally, you will need to provide proof that the vehicle you are transferring the tags to is insured. The easiest way to prove this is to bring in the insurance identification card you were issued by your auto insurance carrier.

    If you don’t have that handy, you can also use a copy of the declaration page of your insurance policy. This works as proof of insurance because it spells out which vehicles and drivers the policy covers. You could also use a letter, on official company letterhead, from your insurance company confirming that you are insured. If you have applied for insurance through the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan, you could also bring a copy of that application.

    There is one other way to prove you’re insured, but it’s temporary. If you bring in a copy of a valid binder of insurance that will work to get your tags transferred, but it is only considered temporary proof, which means it expires in 30 or 60 days. After it expires, you would have to submit proof again.

We’re here to help

Every state has different rules for what is needed to transfer tags, and different documents that have to be filled out and filed. We specialize in making the process easy and fast so you can enjoy your vehicle without worrying. Contact PA Auto Insurance Outlet today with all of your auto tag needs and questions—we’re here to help!

Scroll to Top